Sunday, May 16, 2010

Operating on Naija Time

So I have been a lazy bitch ass blogger since my return from Nigeria...and I while I was in Nigeria I was such a busy Mango I barely posted toward the end. If you haven't already, you can look at photos from my travels at A Mango's Adventures in Nigeria.

Naiji time is defined as the slow and hot pace of life in Nigeria. "Don't worry, Naija time!" At first this was a concept beyond a busy New Yorker like me, but as the 112 degree weather and stress set in, my only option was to operate on Naija time...the problem, I have yet to completely shake Naija time from my system. The Mission Madre was constantly annoyed at my lack of time management while I was in SF...and it seems my blog too has suffered from my Naija time attitude towards it, so here I am.

Nigeria has some amazing dancing...and though I am far far far from being a good dancer or graceful or quick on the dance floor I love to dance. So while in Nigeria, dance like a Nigerian. One of the popular dances is Alantaaa...where you shake your hands up and down your stomach while lifting your legs on every other beat (you are also supposed to distort your face to look crazy).

Learning Alantaaa from a dancer at Blake's (a restaurant/bar)

My favorite gift I got myself while in Nigeria was my Naija outfit. The fabric was a gift from a student, which I then took to a tailor to design a custom made top and skirt, and of course head wrap. The whole get up coast me 3000 Naira roughly $20! And believe it or not, cheesy tourist gifts were so much more expensive than a tailor made outfit.


My favorite activity on returning is dressing in my Naija outfit and greeting my friends with some of my Alantaaa skills!

The Cheap Ass Bitch is Back!

No comments:

Post a Comment