Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Stenciling Away My Madness (and creating more along the way....)

I have been an avid decoupager for awhile now, and as much as I love that damn crafting, I decided to branch out to something new...Stenciling!

I started by taking my favorite picture of my most favorite man...oh Chuck Close (hearts all over his face right now)...in retrospect, I maybe should have started with an easier picture for the first time around...


and from there I brought the picture into photoshop and made it into a stencil...I found a really good "how to" here. You can also find already made stencils online, but why half ass crafting...am I right ladies?!

Next I printed out the picture and taped it to a hard card stock and started cutting into it with an exacto knife. So I wont lie, this part took FOREVER, grueling, back aching foreverness...but at least I was looking into Chuck's beady spirally eyes...

But once I was done the positive and negative looked awesome, so awesome I almost didn't want to get them all painty

But of course I painted it, cause ya know, you have to commit or quit...and if I was going to quit I would have like 2 hours before. I also did mutiple layers of colors...

and here is my stencil in all its glory...more colors to come, fabric paint for a t-shirt and a possibility to play around with the positive image.

So I have now decided I am going to challenge myself to a new crafting task every other week...I have to be realisitc here.

Anyone have a fun craft project I can try?

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool. I'm going to have to show this to my daughter, it would be fun for her to do on her bedroom walls, with different people she likes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I totally want to start a craft night with my friends, this would be a good first project for us! We have also thought of mosiacs (its fun when you get to smash those goodwill plates and glasses!) and leather tooling (I want my name in a belt!) and mobiles (b/c I love Calder).

    ReplyDelete