Monday, October 5, 2009

Born Cheap

Last week there was an article in New York Magazine titled Born Cheap about a spendthrift mother and a tightwad father, and how their ideas of money/spending influenced their three children.

Of course I immediately begin to analyze the cheapness of my family, only going into my mothers side, as it's the women in my family who are the spendthrifters/tighwads. My cousin, the Mission Madre, is clearly a spendthrifter, like myself. I have never talked to a woman in my family about shopping without saying "sale rack", "deal", "coupon", "lohmans!" Basically you get the idea, we wont buy it unless we know we are getting a deal and then we must tell all the other women.

My mom is also clearly a spendthrifter as well and loves to know she is getting the best deal. "Look at this dress I got at Macy's $20 down from $250" and it is a cute dress, it was quite the deal. Though my mom is a spendthrifter she came from a family of tightwads and I think used this same mentality on me while I was growing up, quite genius really.


grandpa & grandma

Though I do look at the price of two cans of beans before selecting the cheaper one, I'm real glad there are no hardcore tightwads in my family, just a bunch of cheap ass bitches who know how to go to town on a sale rack. I learned from the best, love you ladies!

So are you a tightwad? spendthrifter? cheap ass bitch?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm sort of all over the spectrum. I am anal about turning off lights, not using the heat until November, shopping at discount stores, etc, but when it comes to certain things, I won't compromise on what I want and am willing to pay the price for it. Clothing is one of those things. I like very specific running shoes, and I will only buy those shoes, and I don't care if there are cheaper shoes, or shoes on sale. Luckily, in most cases I am a cheap ass bitch, so it all balances out.

    ReplyDelete